Saturday, March 5, 2011

Semantics

Stockton's spelling bee was today! I am so proud of how hard he worked for this competition. I always tell Stockton that spelling bees are 50% hard work/talent and 50% luck. Stockton got out on 'semantics'. He spelled it with a C. Stockton hates the S/C, the double letters or the dropping of an E words. We had studied this word, but Stockton always spelled it with a C...I guess it was just stuck in his brain that way. We had pages and pages of lists, so we didn't get around to perfecting them all. Guaranteed Stockton will never spell it wrong again. He said, "All my branding words start with S....satellite, spasm and now semantics." I pointed out that his winning word started with S too....skillet.

We stayed and watched the rest of the bee. We kept track of where Stockton would have been and what words he would have had. They would have been: empanada, terrapin, repertoire, genealogy, and execration. Stockton was rooting for the boy that sat next to him. His name was Brandon and he made it to the final 12. In that round, only three spelled their words right. The words the final three got were: andante, carambola, and plasmalemma. Stockton did spell the winning word right. INFARCTION.

Anyway, this was a really good experience for Stockton. I loved studying with him. Hopefully he will be able to participate in this next year. I love you Stockton!
Stockton

Top three
We finally got the kid's beds put together! They are no longer sleeping on the floor. I bet they are loving that. The house is still full of boxes, but baby steps.....
The girls have beds!
Jorja's bed
Preston & Stephanie
Preston's bed is the top one...for now...
Whose idea was that? Oh yeah, Preston's.
This is our guest room. Mike had the brilliant idea of setting our crib up. Isn't it just calling out for Mallory - or Blake - or Mina? Plus, Ange will be able to have a safe place to put Abbs. I can't wait until you guys (my brothers....or anyone really) put this room to good use!

5 comments:

Brett - Rachel B said...

Mina wants the queen bed to herself. Actually I really hope to make it over in the next 12 months... at least thats my goal.

Good job Stockton- we're proud of you!

Stephanie said...

I wish it was a queen, but it is only a full....but better than what we've had in the past. Please, please, please make it! And stay with US! We miss you guys and want to meet Mina!

Oregon Millburns said...

Your guest room looks awesome! :) Oh, and great job Stockton!

John P Parry said...

Is that the way you spell "infraction or infarction? Grampa or Grandpa

Stephanie said...

Grandpa - It is... I'm not sure what it means, but that is the way it is spelled.