Thursday, June 26, 2014

Hair Donation

I wanted to get the girls' hair cut before we went to Hawaii.  It takes forever to get their hair combed, and they hate it!  (Not the hair, just the combing.)  A few days ago Maysen asked if she could donate her hair.  What a great idea.  I searched for a place that would donate and found a salon called I'm Beautiful.  If you donate your hair they will give you a free haircut.  Perfect!  Jorja asked if she could donate hers. She was a little more nervous.  She donated her hair when she was in Kindergarten.  They gave her a pixie haircut.  She hated it and sat in the chair and cried.  I told her we could ask how short it would be and she would not be forced to donate.  The hair salon was pretty fancy.  Much nicer than the Great Clips we usually frequent.  They kept asking if we wanted water.  Things like that.  There were two different people helping us.  One lady cut Maysen & my hair.  A different lady cut Jorja's.  Both girls were getting their hair cut at the same time.  Jorja was across the room.  I could only get bits and pieces as I tried to watch her.  I thought her hair was looking so cute.  As the lady finished styling Jorja she motioned for me to take a look.  I came over and Jorja was crying in the chair.  She didn't realize how short it would be.  The stylist had a look of horror on her face.  Jorja's hair is a lot longer than it was the first time, but I guess she was hoping it would be just below her shoulders.  When we explained what Jorja wanted the lady said, "You mean a long bob?"  I told her, "I guess, but I'm not sure what all those words mean."  I guess I should learn some hair cutting lingo. Jorja's hair looks adorable and I assured her over and over that she would love combing it tomorrow.

Maysen wanted her hair straight with no layers.  She was very clear on that.  I tried to convince her to get a few layers and that it would look the same, she did not want to.  I told the lady she could do whatever as long as it is easy to maintain.  I let Jorja talk me into taking them to Leatherby's for lunch.  It was delicious, but I'm sure I'm going to regret it later!
Maysen & Jorja ~ Before
 Stephanie ~ before
Here is our hair that will be donated.  I can't believe how puny my braid is.  Jorja's braid is in the middle.  We easily could have had her hair longer.  They only require 8 inches as this place.  They don't donate to Locks of Love.  They donate to a charity that makes wigs strictly for children.  I couldn't remember the name though.
 Maysen & Jorja ~ after
Icecream fixes everything.  Plus I think they look beautiful.  Maysen even got her hair curled.  For the first time in her entire life.  I am not joking.  It really was her first time getting any kind of curl in her hair. Well, curl that wasn't natural.  When she was little she had amazing curly hair.
 Stephanie ~ after
Our cabinets are finally here!  These pictures are blurry.  It was dark when I took them and we still don't have lights in our kitchen.  At least it is coming together!  Yay!
 Upstairs bathroom
 Kitchen
 Well, this handrail was put in earlier....
 Back to blurry kitchen photos
 Nice wallpaper behind the microwave
 Our new hood.  Love it!

No comments: