Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Graduation!

Today was the last day of school!  Stockton has now finished elementary school!  He will be the only child of mine who will have had sixth grade in elementary school.  Believe me, he was ready to leave! The sixth graders did a walk around the school with all the kids cheering - just like the fifth graders do at Mirror Lake.  I got there in the middle of the walk and was lucky enough to spot Stockton.  Preston ran up to him and gave him a big hug.  So cute!
Preston testing out the camera for me.
 Stockton & Preston
After the 'walk' the sixth graders put on a program.  There were no more seats left, so Preston and I found one random desk against the wall in the very back and used that.  Man, the program was long!  I was not expecting a two hour program.  Having Dominion on my cell phone saved me.  Preston played that the entire time.  The sixth graders sang Unwritten.  The song Stockton's teacher called to talk to me about because Stockton kept singing, "Today I'm just a chicken."  And something about salad dressing.

The program was so long because each class had two different 'talent' acts.  There was lots of singing and dancing.  I wish I knew the kids better, but at least Preston and I had Dominion.  One of my beehives, Zoe, did a cute song, so that was fun to watch.  Anyway, when the program was finally over Stockton asked if I would take him home.  I asked him if he had his backpack.  He had left it in his room.  Stockton was going to run and get it and wanted me to meet him out front.  I told him I parked in the back of the school by the portables.  We started walking to his class, but Stockton got ahead of me.  I was still feeling very week and wasn't able to move quite as fast.  I lost track of Stockton. I went to his class and his backpack was gone.  I thought maybe he was by the car, but Adam saw me and said Stockton just went that way. (He pointed the other direction than I expected.)  I went looking for him.  I walked all the way around the school, looked on his bus, went back to the auditorium, back to the classroom and finally back to the car.  Stockton was waiting out front.  He probably thought I was just talking to people.  I was so frustrated.  I wish he would tell me where he is going instead of just assuming I will know.  I also wish I would have trusted my first instinct and checked the car first.  I was also so tired and so hungry.  School had now let out and my car was blocked in for a long time.  

Jorja's bus got to our stop before we did.  We saw Jorja walking home. She was crying.  She had taken Maysen's lunchbox to school the day before and hadn't been able to find it.  I dropped Stockton and Preston off at home and took Jorja back to school.  We searched the lost and found and the classrooms. No luck.  She was so sad.  I sat her on my lap and asked what was the worst thing that would happen if we didn't find the lunchbox.  It turns out that her froggy ice packs and frog sandwich holder were in the lunchbox.

Soon after we arrived home one of Jorja's good friends called.  That was great timing!  Here is an example of how Jorja and I are different.  Jorja made cards that had her name, address, phone number and my cell phone number on it.  She handed them out to people in her class.  She is my little social butterfly.  Anyway, Jorja's cards worked because Jazzie called.  Jorja talks about Jazzie all the time.  We asked Jazzie if she wanted to go swimming.  Perfect way to cheer up a Porge.

No comments: