Friday, May 20, 2016

Mom's 20th Anniversary

Finally!  20 years ago today my mom died.  This date has hovered over me for months.  I actually had a really good day.  Much better than the ones leading up to it.  It is nice to finally get this date behind me.
Mom, Stephanie, Dad
My mom died 8 1/2 months after that picture was taken.  She wasn't able to help me plan the wedding  because of her bone marrow transplant.  We thought it had worked.  I remember my mom saying, "It's nice to have such good news before Stephanie's wedding."  While I was at the temple with my parents taking out my endowments the doctor's office called and left a message on our answering machine. They said the cancer was back and she needed to start radiation now. That was Saturday.  I got married on the next Friday.  My mom waited for me to get married before she started her radiation.  I am thankful she was able to be with me that day.  I don't think the radiation would have worked anyway if she would have started it on Monday and missed my wedding.

Anyways, I started off the day taking Jorja and Preston to the dentist. Mike also went to the dentist.  Have I mentioned how I hate his teeth? Still do.  I wish he would switch dentists and see if that helps.  Jorja had late start today, so I dropped her off and stopped by Matt's house. As I was about to leave I got a call from Mike.  He asked if I had received any of his texts.  I hadn't heard them.  The high school was cancelled.  The power went out at 8:30 and the utility company couldn't come until 3:30.  Stockton was already home, but Maysen was heading there after vet.  I hurried and met her at the school.  Then the two of us went to lunch.  That was a welcome surprise!  When we got home we saw a fancy yellow truck in the driveway.  That meant Scoop was here!  That doesn't happen very often.  Mike was outside with his dad showing him the pond he made.  He put his mom's garden statue in it and his parent's fountain.  Mike, Maysen, Stockton and I talked to him in the piano room before he left.  He loves telling stories of Gentleman George, one of his ancestors.

Preston got home early because it was short day.  (He had a field trip today.)  Matt came up early so we could play Dominion.  Matt, Mike, Stockton, Preston and I played.  Stockton won.  That was a lot of fun. I'm glad Stockton has started playing with us more often.  While we were playing Becky brought over flowers.  That was so nice!
Becky's flowers
A few minutes later these were dropped off from Brett, Rachel and their girls.  Wow!  They are so beautiful!
From Brett, Rachel, Marie, Mina, Grace & Eve
Bubs and his family arrived a few minutes before the game was over. We decided to skip swimming because the weather was acting crazy. Mike has been frantically trying to get the pool ready for today.  It is only up to 75 degrees.  Super cold for our pool.  Instead we had hotdogs and hamburgers and just enjoyed each other's company.  My dad didn't come.  He said he didn't know about it.  He had a wedding to go to, so that's where he was.  I bought pinwheels for each of the grandkids. Ange helped me write the grandkids names on them.  With the windy day the pinwheels looked so beautiful!  I loved it!  Bubs and Ange also brought beautiful flowers.  My dad had left a plant there yesterday.
Stephanie & Bubs
 Matt & Sam, Maysen, Bubs & Stephanie
The kids really wanted to ride in the motorhome, so Mike drove it down.  Anne and Millie were giggling the entire way.  Mike got down there just fine, but it was super tight getting out.  I had to cover my eyes.  So glad I wasn't driving!  Mike says it wasn't as bad as crossing the bridge in San Francisco.
 Jeff
I put this picture in because I love how Amelia is blowing the pinwheels.  She did that a lot!  The little kids LOVED them!
 Maysen, Bubs, Stephanie, Jorja, Stockton, Jeff, Matt
Amelia, Ella, Anne, Abigail, Lincoln, Preston
 Ange, Bubs
Maysen, Stephanie, Jorja, Stockton, Jeff, Matt, Sam
Amelia, Ella, Abby, Preston, Lincoln, Anne
 Jeff & Matt, Sam & Anne
 Lincoln, Ange, Bubs
Amelia, Abby, Ella
 Maysen, Mike, Jorja, Stockton
Stephanie, Preston
 Jorja
 Preston & Jorja
 Preston
 Stephanie
Preston & Jorja's beautiful song
Matt and Sam went straight from the graveyard to Idaho.  They had a funeral to go to of a family friend.  I am glad they came tonight.  That was very nice of them.

No comments: