Monday, September 25, 2017

Best High Fives

Jorja sent Mike and I a text saying Mr. Packer asked if we would judge the homecoming pageant on Monday. Mike was thinking of working from the cabin that week. I told Jorja that dad would do a better job than me. Jorja said Mr. Packer wanted both of us, he took her out in the hall and specifically asked for the two of us. Okay. If Mike is next to me I won't be so nervous, but it would be terrible to do it by myself. Stockton said hi to Mr. Packer today. There was another teacher next to him that said, "Hi Stockton. I don't know you, but hi." Mr. Packer said, "You don't know who he is? Let me show you." Then he took her to Mike's picture hanging in the hall from when he was a student body officer and talked to the teacher about how Mike is amazing while Stockton stood awkwardly by. Haha.

I checked Jorja out today after lunch because she wasn't feeling well. Her back has been hurting her a lot lately. I hope she doesn't end up with the same back problems as me. That would be sad. She came home and took some medicine and had some rest. When the medicine kicked in she started feeling better and I took her back to school. I also took Stockton and Preston to diving today. I drove Gavin and a girl named Janelle as well. Janelle is in Jorja's biology class. They recognized each other when she walked into our house. The pool was pretty cold today. The showers weren't working either. That's never fun.

It was parent teacher conference today at the high school. I called Mike and asked if he could meet me there so he could take the boys home. Gavin lives near the high school. I was able to be there for thirty minutes and see four teachers. Hopefully I can get the rest tomorrow. Jorja's theater teacher was there. This is the class that gives Jorja the most anxiety. I sat at her table and told her who I was there for and what period she had Jorja. The teacher just looked at me. I was kind of taken aback, because usually they look up their grades and talk about how they are doing. After a few seconds of awkward silence she just said, "Do you need anything?" Or something like that. I told her how Jorja was feeling a lot of anxiety in her class, but I felt super uncomfortable talking to her. I wish she had her grade book out so I could ask her why Jorja got the lowest grade in the class on the 'Why did you take theater' paragraph they had to write. Jorja wrote that she had a spot in her schedule. Jorja has complained since the beginning of school that the teacher doesn't like her. I don't know if that is the case, but I definitely felt more concerned after talking to the teacher than before. I came home and talked to Jorja about it. She said she wishes she had transferred out of that class. She wanted me to find out if it was too late to transfer now. I wrote an email to Jorja's counselor asking what Jorja's options would be. Would Jorja be able to just take an online health class so she wouldn't be behind? (I wanted her to take the health class during the summer anyway.) Who knows what will happen. I guess we'll just wait and see.

I only talked to one of Stockton's teachers today. His government teacher. When I said Stockton's' name he said, "I know who he is. He gives the best high fives." Ha! Stockton is quite proud of that, but man do his high fives hurt! His teacher had only complimentary things to say about him. He is always engaged in the discussions and does an awesome job in class. Jorja's math teacher also said she was doing great. Jorja has a 98% in math right now. This is amazing because she has struggled with math the last few years. Jorja has told me that her math teacher now is a great teacher and she understands everything she presents. Love it.

No comments: