Sunday, August 23, 2015

Bridger Lake

This is Mike.  I am guest-blogging today.  While Steph and Maysen were galavanting around Alaska with Steph's college roommate last week, I took Stockton, Jorja and Preston fishing to Bridger Lake in the Uinta Mountains just south of the Wyoming/Utah border.  When I was younger, my Dad would take us here and to other nearby places including Marsh Lake, Stateline Reservoir and China Meadows.  My Dad first learned of this area when he worked for the U.S. Forest Service after college before starting his own car business.  He came back many times to fish and hunt.  I remember several times camping there with not only my immediate family but also with my Grandma and Grandpa Hirschi in their Road Ranger camper.

The way to Bridger Lake includes about 25 miles of dirt forest service roads.  Sometimes it is very bumpy!  This time it was quite smooth.  I think the road people had just recently watered it down and smoothed it out.   Much appreciated, road people!

Braving the 25 miles of dirt road leading to Bridger Lake

We arrived just before sunset.  This is the beautiful view that awaited us.  Bridger Lake campground is fairly primitive - no electricity or water hookups or anything, so you bring in everything that you need.

 
Bridger Lake welcoming us at Sunset

We were anxious to get out and fish, remembering how FANTASTIC the fishing was here at this time last year.   Before we could do so though, there was work to be done!  First task:  backing up the motorhome into this spot.  It was a tight squeeze, but we made it.
 




Tight squeeze!



Next came time to inflate the boat and get the fishing poles set up.  The kids got me an inflatable boat for Father's Day this year, and this is the first time we've taken it out.  Bridger Lake has lily pads around the entire lake, so fishing from shore is not an option unless you want to stand on the one little dock on the far side of the lake which is usually crowded with people.   They did a great job taking turns pumping it up and we had it ready to go in no time.  Then they patiently waited while I got all the fishing poles ready to go.  

Finally, we got everything in the water.   I didn't want to waste time setting up the trolling motor or hauling the big heavy battery down, so we used the oars this first night.  Stockton was the first to catch a fish.   About 2 seconds after his worm and marshmallow hit the water he had one on.  He was pleased that he got to claim first fish!   I spent the right of the night helping the kids get worms on their hooks, getting untangled at times, and getting hooks back out of the fish that bit them.  I don't think I ever got my pole in the water because the fish kept us so busy.  That's a great problem to have!

















 
Preston with his catch nearly slipping out of the net.  Dad needs a new net next year kids!


Once it got too dark, we left the water and carried things back to the RV.  I showed the kids how to clean fish.  They were not fans.  They were brave to try it, but it can be a bit much, so I finished up while they went back inside.   Fresh fish for dinner is delicious, but there was plenty of non-fish to eat as well so everyone was happy.

We skipped the campfire the first night since we hadn't brought any firewood with us.  The next day we made sure to gather some up so we would have it for marshmallow roasting that night.  We got more than enough and used the new roasting forks the kids gave me for my birthday.  They worked just right.


Roasting Marshmallows

Preston shielding his face with a plate while roasting


Yum!  S'mores!

When we were at WalMart shopping for this trip, I spotted some toy crossbows on sale.  These were the EXACT same kind I had when I was a kid so I couldn't resist picking up a pair of them.  The ones I used to have were just like these except the darts were all red and the sight was black instead of bright orange like they are now.  Most the time when I used to play with them, we shot the small Lincoln Logs out of them since they worked much better (i.e. "hurt more") than the darts that came with them.


Just like the ones I had as a kid!

I took the kids outside and had them practice shooting a target on the side of the motorhome.  Fun stuff!  I may have to take one to work and see if it will shoot Nerf darts.

Target Practice

We spent the entire day Saturday out on the lake.  The kids loved it and so did their Dad.  We also fished Sunday morning before heading back.  More than one of the kids asked it we could come back next year, while I was glad to hear!  I think we should make it a yearly tradition.

Everybody loves fishing at Bridger Lake!

The funniest thing the second night was when Jorja decided to watch Elmo in Grouchland on the little bunkbed TV.  While I took a shower, all three kids become enthralled in the movie.  We learned that Stockton does a very good Elmo impersonation too!

In all, we kept (and cleaned) about 35 fish that weekend.  The kids named most of them as they caught them.  "Garfield" and "King Hippo" were by far the biggest and fattest.  Garfield measured 15 inches.  I didn't have a scale, but he was very chubby!

Fish waiting to be cleaned

Jorja holding a fish - I think this is Garfield

Stockton with King Hippo in the net

Sunday morning we cleaned up, packed up and drove off.  I was surprised that the lake is only about 3 1/2 hours from our house.


A little suprise of 35 rainbow trout in the freezer ready to welcome Stephanie home from Alaska.  I know what we will be having for dinner for a while!


I had a great weekend with the kids and will always remember being able to share with them one of my favorite places from when I grew up.  Thank you guys for coming and sharing that time with me!  And Dad, thanks for spending time with us kids when we were younger, taking us to places like this and teaching me to love fishing.

2 comments:

Brett - Rachel B said...

Guest bloggers are always better than the main blogger.

Stephanie said...

Hey!