Monday, August 6, 2018

Sled Dogs!

Wow! What a fun day. We are in Skagway today. This is the day Preston has been excited for the most. Sled dogs! Stockton has been a good sport about the whole thing. He does not enjoy dogs, but he didn't complain once. He also got by without having to touch a dog, so that worked out well for him.
Jorja
We got up bright and early for our excursion. We took a train up the White Pass in Skagway. It was awesome. So beautiful and fun. Maysen loved standing on the platforms, especially over bridges and through tunnels. It's crazy to see the tiny trails that people would walk up to make it to the gold rush. 
Maysen & Preston
 Maysen
 You can see some of our train in this picture.
 Maysen
 Jorja
 Stockton, Maysen, Preston, Jorja
 Stephanie & Jorja
Jorja vlogging with Stockton
 Maysen, Mike, Preston
This tiny trail is the trail used by the goldseekers. The trail was so narrow and there were so many people that if they had to step out of line for any reason they couldn't get back in easily, sometimes they would have to wait seven hours to rejoin. They also had to bring a years worth of supplies with them to enter Canada, so they would have to make several trips before they could even start looking for gold.
 The old train trestles were so pretty.
 Preston and Maysen
 Maysen
 Sawtooth Mountain
Apparently Maysen was talking in her sleep when Jorja came into the room last night. It was funny to hear what happened from both girls' perspectives. Maysen remembers it a bit, but not a lot. Jorja said she sat up in bed and told her she was scared. It was really funny.
Stockton, Jorja, Maysen
After the train we stopped at a gold panning place. We all got to pan for gold. Together as a family we earned $47. We put all the gold flakes into a pendant and are going to use it as a Christmas ornament. I think that was Maysen's idea. I like it.
Maysen & Stockton
 Stockton and Maysen
 Jorja and Mike
Preston and I did it too, but I don't have a picture. Quick family history story. My great-great-grandfather made a fortune in the gold rush. He owned a saloon. He brought back some gold nuggets. My grandfather had them made into a bracelet and a broach for my grandmother. Years ago my Grandma Millburn took me aside and asked me to pick out one of her jewelry pieces that would be gifted to me after she died. I picked out the nugget bracelet, because I was fascinated with it. I think my Grandma was slightly disappointed with my choice because that Christmas she gave me a heart shaped jewelry box. Inside was a diamond and ruby necklace, earrings and ring. Anyway, I wore my nugget bracelet and broach today. Inside the shop by the gold planning place was a display of real nuggets from the gold rush. They looked just like my bracelet! I showed the lady behind the counter. She said I was probably wearing a couple thousand dollars on my arm. Wow. I guess gold is more valuable in the nugget form. Not going to sell it anyway, so it doesn't matter.
Next was the highlight of the trip for Preston. SLED DOGS! We learned about the Iditarod. We learned what it takes to run it, what they wear, what they have on their sled, how they take care of their dogs. It sounds exhausting. We then were taken to a guy that has run the Iditarod seven times. He showed us his dogs. The dogs ran up and down the path letting us pet them. I wish I had stood on the other side so I could get better pictures.
 Maysen and Preston
 Maysen, Preston, Jorja
 The camera focused on Maysen's arm instead of Preston with the dog. Oh well.
We all got a laugh from Apollo. He was the calmest, sweetest dog. They said he had a Doctor Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde personality. The second he got strapped into his sled he went crazy! He was jumping up in the air wanting to run. He was so funny to watch. They put Apollo as the lead dog once. He went berserk! He was going so fast and then instead of turning when he was supposed to he decided to take them on a ride down in the ditch to the Skagway River. Most of the dogs we saw have run the Iditarod, not Apollo. He wears himself out with his excitement. Quick Draw is in front of Apollo. He just stands there, then runs when he is asked to. Quick Draw has run the Iditarod several times. After the run around the track Quick Draw looked like he could go all day, not a care in the world. Not Apollo. He was totally winded. It was so funny. 

Preston
 Stephanie taking a picture of Jorja with a puppy.
 Jorja
 Maysen
 Mike
 Maysen's nose and Stephanie holding a puppy.
 Jorja again.
 Jorja, Preston, Maysen
 Jorja, Maysen, Preston
 Preston, Maysen, Jorja
 Jorja & Preston talking to the dog guy. He was super funny.
 Preston
We had a quick stop in the 40 below room. I had the kids take a picture on the 'throne'. It was cold. I look like a crazy person in the picture.
Preston & Stephanie
 Maysen
 Jorja
 Stockton
 Jorja, Preston, Stockton, Maysen
After the ice room we headed back into downtown Skagway. We looked around some shops and then walked back to the boat. It was a beautiful, fun day. The kids make me laugh. They have found some interesting shows to watch on tv. One is Raven Tales. That is weird and they love it. Probably because it is so bad it is funny. The other is Muffalo Potato. John shows how to draw different things using only letters and numbers. The kids think this is great. One of the activities today was a Muffalo Potato activity. The kids wanted to go. We were the only family to show up. It was funny. The lady said she liked seeing a family have so much fun together. I agree. My family loves each other and it is awesome being together.
Jorja, Preston, Stockton, Maysen
 Maysen, Preston, Jorja
Muffalo Potato
Mike, Jorja, Maysen, Preston, Stockton
 John
 Mike, Jorja, Maysen, Preston, Stockton
 Stockton
 Jorja & Mike
 Maysen & Preston
 Stockton
 He makes me laugh.
 Maysen & Preston, Jorja & Mike
 Jorja & Mike
 Stockton, Maysen & Preston (Stockton's hand shadow looks funny . . . it's a unicorn.)
 Mike showing everyone on the boat his drawing. Maysen laughing at him.
My family was able to eat dinner together, just us tonight. That was fun. The kids met up with the Covingtons to play Betrayal in the House on the Hill. Mike and I went to the dancing show. Jorja went to teen night. The kids were still playing Betrayal when our show was finished. Mike and I headed to bed. Maysen and Stockton said they would take care of Preston. And they did. Stockton even called us to let us know they were back in their room. I loved that. It was so nice not to worry and I was happy Stockton thought of doing that. We have an early morning tomorrow, should be fun!
Maysen, Preston, Stockton, Mike, Jorja
 Now with Stephanie
 Joy, Maysen, Graham, Brad, Stockton
 Maysen, Preston, Graham, Joy, Brad, Stockton
 Jorja building card towers again.
 Towel Gorilla

No comments: