Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Grandma Parry's Rolls

Sunday, on my Grandma Parry's birthday, my cousin Rozie posted a picture of Grandma's rolls that she had made. I remember my grandma always making these rolls. I remember helping her cut them out with Mason jar lids. I remember her putting a small slice of hard butter inside. They were delicious. Rachel asked for a copy of the recipe and Rozie posted this. Brooke commented and said, "Grandma would always cut them with a circle...like a pint sized mason jar size lid... Place a small tab of butter in the center then fold them in half over the butter so they would raise and look just like Rozie's picture. I noticed the recipe said roll out as desired and thought you might like to know how she did it." Too bad I don't have Rozie's picture.
I asked about when the raise step was. Rozie had mentioned that Grandma used to raise them in the fridge overnight. Rozie said, "I let them raise for a few hours before rolling them out AND after cutting them with a mason jar. Usually, I let them raise the 2nd time while I am at church. I think Grandma put them in the fridge overnight after using the mason jar lid so all she would do is take them out first thing in the morning to raise. Jackie would be the one to know exactly how Grandma made them.

Jackie said, "She would let the dough rise in a bowl and then punch it down (I remember the punch down because sometimes she let me do it. :) ) Then she would cut them out and put them in the fridge and pull them out the next morning and let them rise again. I have actually made them in the morning and cut them out, then let them rise just once. They aren't quite as fluffy but still pretty dang good. :)"

I just took a screen shot of the recipe, so I'm going to leave it with an awkward photo, I'll have to make these sometime soon. Preferably when I can have sugar and flour again!

No comments: