Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Preston's 14

I almost titled this Negative Again. Jorja got out of quarantine yesterday evening, only to find out this morning that Jake tested positive for covid. Jorja spent several hours in the car with Jake on Friday, and she also had dinner with him and his family. So, back to testing she went. Luckily it is a weekday, so there are more options. She went to the Overstock clinic and was able to do a rapid test. That came back negative as well. The other sad thing for Jorja is she found out Dancing with the Hawks has been cancelled. She was so excited for this. She has hoped for years she would be asked to do this. Her entire senior year has been one big cancellation, except it comes in drips. Little by little everything gets cancelled. The big fun things were cancelled in one swoop, but the little things that they had a chance to participate in have been getting knocked off one by one. Jorja sent me this screenshot and then texted, "I hate my senior year." I have to agree. Her senior year has been very hard.

Jorja consoled herself by putting a hat on Bear
We did have a great day with Preston though! Despite a rocky beginning. We had plans to all go to OHP. We went there for Maysen and Jorja's birthdays. Jorja is online on Monday and Tuesdays, so it was a perfect plan. Right as we were walking out the door we found out Jake tested positive. I told Preston we could bring Jorja back food, but he was so sad. He got tears in his eyes. I asked him if he would like me to order all the food and bring it back so we could eat together. That made him happy, so that is what we did. I asked for the birthday crepe, but they don't do that for take out orders. I told them I would be willing to pay for it and explained the situation. She had to go ask, luckily they said okay. I can't imagine they wouldn't give it to us if we were paying for it anyway. But... the crepes were delicious.

I had spent several weeks talking to Preston about what he wanted to do for his birthday. We let the kids have a party every even year. This was Preston's party year. I told him he could take Jack to do something fun. Like indoor skydiving, or zip lining. Preston didn't want to go anywhere. He said it wasn't a good idea with covid, this was even before the governor's mandate. All Preston wanted was for Jack to come overland to have homemade eclairs. Luckily Jack was still able to come. Jack is immune right now so his mom felt it was okay. Thank goodness! What a weird time to be alive!

Stephanie, Mike's head and Preston
Preston got a giant game called Gloomhaven. He also got a glow in the dark mini golf set, a new water bottle and headphones. Maysen gave him a gummy worm making kit and Jorja gave him a duck egg/pancake maker.
I managed to pull off eclairs
Birthday eclair
Preston & Mike
Jack was able to stay over for a long time. Preston had a lot of fun. His birthday ended up being a great time, even though it was super low-key. I mean, what's not to love about birthdays?

No comments: