Saturday, January 31, 2009

Reading Bowl

Maysen and Stockton competed in the Reading Bowl today. I was prepared. I made sure the batteries to the camera were fully charged. When we got to the reading bowl, however, I realized I left my camera card in my laptop. The hazards of blogging everyday! I managed to get a few pictures on our internal memory. Then I borrowed one of the teachers cameras...she is suppose to e-mail me the pictures.

Anyway, Brett & Rachel came last night. They watched Jorja and Preston for seven hours so Mike and I could go to the reading bowl. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am so glad they did. We had the best time. Maysen was up first. Her team was amazing! This is basically a reading comprehension test in a quiz type format. They were quizzed on 16 chapter books. Some of the questions are so obscure, I don't know how they can possibly remember them...but they do. After all six rounds, we gathered in the gym. All 14 teams marched in and received a participation trophy. Then the winners were announced. Maysen's team won first!!!! It was incredible! Maysen said, "When they announced our name, I was stunned!" Everyone around us was cheering like crazy. I wish we had our video camera for this. There is no way to fully explain how great this is. Maysen now gets to compete in the regional level next Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed!

I couldn't resist taking this picture. Wow!
Maysen with her teams trophies. Maysen gets to babysit the first place trophy this weekend.
This is the only picture I have of Stockton. Hopefully more will be coming soon. Stockton did so good! He competed in the picture book team. They read 20 picture books. Some of them were fun, but most were tough. Segregation, slavery, WWII - tough stuff. Stockton was so prepared. I am so proud of him. He worked really hard. His team came in 7th place out of 20. This competition is practically indescribable. Every team was really good. The hardest part was ringing in on the buzzers. My favorite was: 'In the book, Celia Cruz' BUZZ. These kids would be so anxious to ring in, the question wasn't even asked. One boy was so quick, but he got more then half wrong. Like Mike said, "Live by the buzzer, die by the buzzer." Stockton was really disappointed. He was hoping for at least 3rd. He doesn't understand how hard a competition this was and how great he did. He was in for 3 rounds and out for 3 rounds. It was pure torture sitting out. I hope he will try for the reading bowl again next year. He is so good at reading comprehension. Next year he can either be on the picture book team or the chapter book team. I hope he will go for it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job Maysen and Stockton!
From: Erica, Brandon, Jacob and Weston.