Monday, September 26, 2016

I'm Not an Idiot

I have been trying to get videos uploaded for awhile, but have had no success.  Too bad.  They were super cute.  Stockton and Preston both went to diving today.  I picked Stockton up from school and we stopped by the swimsuit store to get his new team suit.  I dropped him off and then went back to the store where I waited for Mike and Jorja.  They got suits too.  Hopefully Jorja will start diving next month.  We'll see if she likes it, but she is loving softball right now so I don't know how much she will be able to commit to diving.  Anyway, Mike took Jorja home and I took Preston back to diving.  We walked in and Stockton was on the board.  I had enough time to glance at him before alarms started going off all over the place.  The fire alarm was going and everyone had to get out.  Stockton laughed and thought it was a great way to get out of doing his back double.  That is what he was preparing for and he hasn't done it on purpose before.  We waited and waited and waited.  Twenty minutes later the swim coach called the police department.  The alarm hadn't triggered whatever it triggers to let them know.  We then had to wait for them to come and say we could go back inside.  The entire time the alarm was going off like crazy! Preston ended up starting his class thirty minutes late.  At least they went long, so it worked out.  During free time Preston tried some new things.  He did his falling back dive over and over.  It was adorable. That was what I was trying to upload.  He also did three front flips. One he smacked on his back.  I am so proud of him for trying new things.  So far he is loving it.  Stockton, Preston and I stopped by Firehouse subs on the way home.  We watched the first part of the debate while we were there.  I can't believe these are our two choices for president.  I hope Evan McMullin can pull off a miracle.  Wouldn't that be amazing?

I got a weird phone call earlier in the day.  Someone called saying that Windows was sending alerts from my computer.  Several red flags went off in my mind.  First, it was obvious English wasn't her first language. Second, I use a Mac.  We do have other computers in this house that use Windows, but this question was never asked.  She wanted me to get on my computer and do some things to stop these alerts.  I told her I thought she was just trying to trick me and take control of my computer.  She said, "No, let me give you your computer ID number.  It is a number only you and I have, that way you will know I am telling the truth."  I thought, "Okay, let's see what she says."  I wrote down a huge long number.  Around 20 digits with dashes and letters.  She then said, "Do you know how to look up your computer ID?"  As politely as I could I said, "No, I don't.  I'll have my husband help me.  Do you have a number I can call you back on once I have the ID?"  Well, I didn't get to finish the entire sentence before she started yelling at me.  I would say she called me every name in the book, but she only called me one name.  Over and over again in different varieties.  "F-U!  You're an *@&% lady.  You don't know *^^**& English."  Over and over again.  I asked why she was yelling at me which gave me more foul language.  I said, "Wow.  No way are you from customer support."  More yelling and cursing followed by, "I'm going to shut down your computer you *@%$^^ lady!"  I yelled back, "Do it!  Go ahead!  Do it!"  More cursing. I said, "I'm not an idiot.  No way am I letting you get control of my computer."  Followed by more cursing until I hung up.  I was shaking so bad after that conversation.  Well, more like an attack.  I called Mike. As I was telling him the story I could hear him say, "Oh no."  I think he thought I fell for it.  Mike said that people do this all the time.  They get control of your computer and then lock you out.  They make you pay money to them to unlock it.  He thinks that if I would have looked up the computer ID number (which doesn't exist) that would have infected my computer right there.  I'm so glad I have heard Mike tell me many crazy stories like this so I knew immediately not to touch my computer. The sad part is, they probably are able to do this to a lot of people, especially older people.  Creepy.

No comments: