Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Dallin

I have been procrastinating writing this post. I don't really have words to describe what happened. Over the weekend Jorja found out that a student at Corner Canyon had died. The student body officers made a banner to show support for their school and brought it to them yesterday morning. Jorja couldn't go because she hadn't been cleared from quarantine. Anyway, this morning while Jorja was in class she was talking with Ella. Ella told her the boy who died was Dallin Walker. Jorja's heart dropped. She texted me immediately and my heart dropped. Dallin was Jorja's best friend in elementary school. They were always together. They played together every recess. Jorja was always with Jazzie and Dallin. Dallin was over here many times, Jorja was at Dallin's even more. Dallin and Jazzie went to a different middle school and high school. Jorja and Dallin emailed a bit in sixth grade, but eventually they grew apart. Just because they didn't see each other. I'm sure it would have been different if they had cell phones and an easy way to keep in contact when they started going to different schools. (Glad they didn't have cell phones that young though.) Anyway this has been a rough week for Jorja, I can't even imagine what Dallin's family is going through. I'm so thankful Dallin was a part of Jorja's life. Middle school was hard and she had a hard time figuring out where she belonged. I'm glad she didn't have to worry about that in elementary school. Jorja told me that Jazzie had other friends too but "Dallin and I just had each other." This boy was the sweetest and I'm grateful Jorja was able to know him.

Dallin & Jorja ~ last day of elementary school

Dallin, Jazzie and Jorja swimming in our backyard
Dallin at Jorja's 12th birthday party
Dallin swimming at our house again
The last time Jorja saw Dallin was in 9th grade. You would think it would be easier to keep in touch once they got older, but life gets in the way. Although Jorja and Dallin went to the same elementary school, the way the boundary's worked was kind of weird. He actually lived quite a ways from us. Not terrible, but he didn't live close enough to just drop by. Anyway, the three of them got together at Bahama Bucks around Christmas time their 9th grade year. Man I wish they would have done this more. I am so very thankful for these two great friends.
Jazzie, Jorja, Dallin

No comments: