Monday, May 16, 2022

Maquenque

We slept in a treehouse last night! It was awesome! I woke up super early and took a shower. The shower has windows all around so it feels like you are showering above the trees. I then went outside and read a book. It was a great morning. Mike went to take a shower around 7:00. A couple of hours after I took mine. Surprise! There was no water!
Our treehouse was called 'oropendola'. The sure didn't want us to lose the key. It was attached to a giant leaf.
This is an oropendola. We saw one flying around when we were at the pool.
We had about a five minute walk to the lodge, but it sure was beautiful!
These critters were everywhere. Mike sent a picture home and Maysen immediately knew it was a Kodimondi
They are also called Coati.
This is where we had breakfast. It was so pretty. They had fruit out for the birds and other critters. Notice the swamp in the background. When we went on our night hike the guide had us shine our flashlights into the swamp. There were SO MANY EYES! I had no idea there were that many crocodiles just hanging out. Scary!
We don't get wifi in the treehouse, so we hung out here outside the lodge for a bit. So cozy!
Jorja
Mike
They gave me something different than what I ordered, but it was still good and very filling. Mike talked to the guy about the water and he said he had already fixed it. We walked around a bit, checked out the swimming pool, then decided to canoe for awhile.
Mike
As soon as we were in the water I felt the sun beating on my legs. I hadn't put sunscreen on yet. I kept thinking how horrible our family got sunburned on the 4th of July a few years ago when we were on water. I kept pulling my shorts down farther over my knees and tucking my legs under me.
Mike
Jorja
Mike
Stephanie & Jorja
Jorja
Some of the water was so pretty and some looked like a swamp. Haha
This was before I knew how many crocodiles were around! YIKES!
Mike
Even the bugs are awesome here.
We went back to the treehouse after canoeing. I put sunscreen on first thing and Mike took a shower. Jorja was starting to get a headache so I gave her some Advil and we took a short nap. It was shorter than we expected because the maid came up to clean the room. I didn't want to make her come back because it is so out of the way and lots of steps. I asked her if she could wait five minutes. We hurried and grabbed our swimsuits and went to check out the pool. Going in it this time.
Mike
Tiny frog
The water was cold at first, but it felt so good! After swimming we had lunch and went back to the treehouse.
Lunch view
Jorja
Inside the treehouse
My favorite pictures from the day. Our neighbor, Kristen, use to call Jorja 'Rana.'
I sent Kristen these pictures.
We went on a little guided hike. It was HOT! It started raining while we were on our hike. Crazy how it can sound like a giant rainstorm, but we were just getting drizzled on. Rainforests are cool.
Can you spot the lizard?
This plant only blooms at night. Gets left alone that way. Hahaha
Bats ~ Maysen would like that!
There is a bullet ant on the leaf. Their sting is more painful than a bullet. Hence the name.
Frog
Walking tree! They move a bit each year. They grow new roots to try and get the sun.
I think they said this is a cocoa plant
Frog
We took a nap after our hike until it was time for our night hike. That was fun. We saw lots of frogs! I am glad we are out here in a big group, I would not want to be out here alone in the dark.
Toad
Tree frog!
Frog
Toad
Frog
We went straight to dinner after the hike. We forgot to bring a brick to charge our phones. We had used Jorja's portable car charger, but it ran out of batteries today. Jorja asked the lady at the front desk if she had something she could use. Jorja had her phone charging all through dinner. It didn't charge much. We then went and sat on the couches so we could get it more charged. (Jorja has a pre-MTC zoom call tomorrow.) I tried to add a little juice to mine when she was done. It's just above 50% now. Hopefully I can keep taking pictures. We will see. When we were leaving, Jorja found a toad in the corner of the restaurant. We tried to catch it, but it hopped away from us. It was great.
Toad
We walked back to the treehouse in the dark. Mike had a flashlight. They gave us a flashlight and a walkie talkie when we checked in. Haha. When we got back I realized I left my water bottle where we were sitting when we were charging our phones. It's just a plastic one, but there is a hummingbird on the lid and I like it. Jorja walked back with me and we found it right away. We did get lost going back to the treehouse though. It took us a couple of tries with some backtracking involved. Glad we didn't get lost in the forest though! There's some scary things out there!

No comments: