Thursday, October 18, 2018

Jorja's 10 Commandments

I lost it with Jorja today. Again. Last night I was thinking about things we talked about. Something didn't feel right and I thought Jorja wasn't telling me the truth. I called her out in it. I was right. I was mad. I need her to be 100% honest with me. 100%. Later that morning I was thinking about it and it still didn't feel right. I talked to her again. Nope, she was STILL lying to me! I mean, come on! Pull the bandaid off already! I was furious. I couldn't stop being mad and I kept yelling at her. I remember yelling, "Great Jorja, I'm now a mom that yells. The one thing I felt I was good at was being calm with my family, now that is gone. I now yell. Is this how you want the next three years to be? You lying to me, me finding out and then us arguing? Is this how you want our relationship?" And things along those lines. I was at a loss as to how to get through to her. It's so frustrating because I have never once punished her for things she comes to me and tells me about, like sneaking out of the house. That deserved a giant punishment. Why will she lie to me when she knows I only overreact when I'm being lied to? Ahhhhh!!!!! I was so mad I told her she was now grounded until Christmas! She didn't like that at all! I asked her why she got grounded in the first place? It was lying to me. What did she do several times over the last two days? Lied to me. Obviously a month grounding wasn't long enough. It was the easiest grounding ever. I can't stand breaking a commitment and Jorja had several commitments lined up already. I let her go to all of them, so she only missed a few things. Although there were some she really wanted to go to.

I took Preston to diving and Mike was supposed to meet with the missionaries. He ended up calling them up and saying he needed to cancel. He felt that he was needed at home. Mike said just felt prompted that he needed to be there. Mike knew I was mad at Jorja last night, but I didn't tell him about our constant fighting throughout the day. Anyway, Mike came home to find Jorja alone and crying. He opened up his arms to her and she came to him and just cried. She had been so upset she was sick and had been throwing up while I was gone. Mike was able to calm everything down. That is what he always does. He's amazing. Once I got home he had us sit down together and talk. He said we had an opportunity to change behavior. We can go through the next three years with fights and groundings, or we could set specific rules that Jorja needed to follow. We talked for a long, long time and came up with Jorja's 10 commandments. She agreed to follow this and I agreed not to ground her until Christmas. Mike told her that he wants her to start being responsible for her actions. I know this isn't a perfect list, but it is a start. Let's hope she sticks to it!
Stockton was funny. He said we needed 11 commandments. The eleventh one should be Jorja needs to read this list every time before she leaves the house. I like that one!

No comments: